Nothing Ever Works.
Nothing ever works. Sounds like words from a pessimist. I like to call it; positive realism. What does it really mean? Clearly something, somewhere must work. But really nothing ever works…. the first time…does it?
It’s just another variant of “Murphy’s Law” …. Anything that can go wrong will go wrong. Still not feeling the positive jive? Let me add some more expressions to give some color to this thought.
- Always be prepared
- Never assume
- Plan for all eventualities
- Fail safe
- Follow up
- Double check
- Allow enough time to do it right
- Measure twice, cut once
- Do not wait until the last minute
- Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part
- I cut it again, and it’s still too short. (ok, this doesn’t really fit the point, but I think it is funny)
- Test it first
- Always, always have a Plan B, and a Plan B for Plan B, commonly called Plan C.
What I am really saying is when doing work, be a professional, pay attention to details and never assume (I know I said that already but repetition for emphasis).
Both Murphy’s Law and my version, known as Kradel Law #1 – “Nothing Ever Works” are saying the same thing and these homilies are a very positive proactive approach to life and work.
Do the job right.
Let me share with you a practical example. The Kradel Team is in the midst of migrating their internet presence from Azure to Bluehost. In the process more content and functionality is being added. That’s the plan.
The reality is, the Kradel Korner blog migration has some post-migration issues, currently the permalinks are not functioning as intended. How have we pepared for this obvious eventuality, i.e. it’s not working 🙂 – as nothing ever does?
- We have multiple versions of backup including
- Azure backup of legacy site
- Physical copy of site downloaded to a PC
- My wife took screen shots of every page (I would not have done that, but it made her feel better)
- Added some additional Bluehost features to facilitate interim recovery as necessary, i.e. their paid backup solution.
- The old site is still accessible via other DNS names.
What is Plan A and Plan B and Plan B for Plan B (Plan C)
Plan A – WordPress Export / Import functionality (currently tried, and not 100% successful)
Plan B – Be prepared for some interim pain, as we see if we can manipulate the site via supported and/or documented techniques for fixing the links. Currently working this plan.
Plan B B (C) – Leverage the tenacious, bull-dog, diligent, hardworking, competent, thorough, and spectacular work ethic of my wife to manually rebuild the Kradel Korner content that is currently problematic.
So you see, knowing “Nothing Ever Works”, has allowed us, the Kradel Team, to have a known path forward to resolve this specific example of a task that is yet to see its conclusion. It will, of that I’m confident.
If you understand “Nothing Ever Works”, it might take longer than you think, it may cost more than you hope, but the results will be spectacular. That is positive and that is reality in motion.
BTW, I am very very excited about how the new web presence of the Kradel Team is going to turn out.