Are you looking to downsize? Have you been considering downsizing to a townhome? Are you unsure if a townhome is the right fit for you? Downsizing has benefits of course. However, there are going to be some compromises when moving from a single family home to a townhome. Here are five determining factors to help you decide whether a townhome is the right fit for you.
Is Downsizing for You?
- Less Exterior Maintenance. A townhome will have less maintenance than a single family home. For the convenience of having your bushes trimmed, your grass mowed and mulch replenished you will pay the HOA a maintenance fee. Not every community provides the same level of maintenance. Be sure to have your real estate agent find out what services are provided.
- Less Interior Space to Maintain. Another convenience factor with a townhome is having less to clean indoors. However, there may also be less storage space, and less space for your furniture, than the home you are moving from. So be sure to think carefully about how much you are willing to downsize.
- Freedom to Travel. Another bonus to living in a townhome is the ability to lock the doors and leave for a week, or two, or a month or more. Your townhome will generally not look noticeably empty or abandoned and can be an ideal solution if you plan to travel a great deal after retirement.
- Community Amenities. Townhomes are generally located in communities that offer various amenities such as a swimming pool, clubhouse, and walking trails. Other townhomes in mixed use communities also offer shopping, restaurants and even movie theaters. These amenities may appeal to you and family, grandchildren and friends who you be visiting you in your new home.
- Privacy. One of the concerns you may have is that of privacy. The amount of privacy offered by the townhome depends on the layout and construction the builder chose. If privacy is important to you, look for those townhomes that can offer private courtyards or screened backyards.
Looking to downsize in the Lake Norman or Charlotte areas in North Carolina? Here are the townhome listings for several towns in the area:
Looking in another area of Charlotte? Give Diane a call at 704-657-1735 and she can assist you with finding homes in the neighborhood of your choice.