Should I Hire an Exterminator?
Encountering pests such as spiders, ants, roaches and bed bugs in your home can be unsettling to say the least! Creepy crawly critters can ruin a good night’s sleep. North Carolina has its share of home invaders, especially during the summer months. If you are a new home owner, or have just moved into the area, you may not be familiar with these common pests or how to prevent them from invading your home. The simplest way to get rid of these pests is to hire an exterminator. For peace of mind an annual pest inspection and treatment may very well be the best course of action. Of course, hiring a pest exterminator is also the most expensive way to handle a pest invasion. Besides hiring an exterminator what are some other options to get rid of common household pests?
Tips for Handling 5 Common Bugs
- Bed bugs can be picked up from a hotel or rental apartment or through used furniture. They are annoying, make you itch, but don’t carry diseases. What are some easy ways to get rid of them? One is to wash suspected items in hot water and dry with heat. Bed bugs don’t like heat. If a mattress is suspect take a stiff brush to all the seams, then vacuum the mattress thoroughly and encase in a mattress protector.
- Cockroaches. North Carolina is home to several common roaches. The most common, also known as the “water bug”, is not a water bug at all but is the Smokey Brown Cockroach. Seeing one or two of these occasionally is not something to be alarmed about, they often just wander into the home from the outdoors. Keep your home clean and pay special attention to anyplace that is dark and damp, such as the bathroom or storage areas. Also, check for cracks and keep mulch and decaying leaves away from the foundation.
- Spiders. For some reason most of us really don’t like spiders. Even non-poisonous spiders. Spiders don’t like citrus odors so using a lemon scented spray when cleaning can help keep spiders away. If you do find egg sacs around the exterior of your home, don’t take any risks, they can lay 100’s of eggs.
- Ants often seem to appear out of nowhere. There are some easy remedies to those ant problems. At the first sign of ants clean all kitchen surfaces so the scouts can’t report back to the pack. Follow the ant trail to their entrance point and seal with caulk. Another trick is to use a defense barrier such as cinnamon, turmeric or cayenne pepper to turn ants away.
- Termites can do extensive damage to a home. Termite treatment is best left to the professionals. State laws regulate how often and what type of treatment applications are allowed. Homeowners in North Carolina should consider carrying a termite bond on their property as termites are active in this state and can cause thousands of dollars of damage to a home once infested.